READ AND SAVE THESE INSTRUCTIONS
Thank you for purchasing the VICKS
ComfortFlex™ Digital Thermometer with SpeedRead technology, large screen display, and Fever InSight™ feature, a
professionally accurate instrument for comfortably measuring body temperature. Please read these instructions carefully to ensure accurate temperatures
and safe operation. When used properly, this high quality product will give you years of accurate, dependable service.
MPORTANT SAFETY INFORMATION
• High, prolonged fever requires medical attention especially for young children. Please contact your physician.
• Do not allow children to take their temperatures unattended.
• Do not allow children to walk or run during temperature taking.
If you have any questions or comments about the VICKS
ComfortFlex™ Digital Thermometer, call our toll-free Consumer
Service Line: 1-800-477-0457.
Temperature readings vary from person to person. Although there is no one “normal” temperature reading, a temperature, taken orally, ranging between
97°F and 100°F is considered normal. A rectal temperature is generally 1° higher and an underarm (axillary) temperature will be 1° lower.
The best method to determine your own normal temperature is to use the thermometer when you are feeling well. Record your
reading twice a day (early morning and late afternoon). Take the average of the two temperatures. This is considered your normal
body temperature. Any variation from it may indicate some sort of illness and you should consult your physician.
ComfortFlex™ Digital Thermometer is a 3-in-1 thermometer for oral, rectal, or underarm use.
Whichever method is used, it is recommended that for 15 minutes prior to use, avoid eating or drinking any liquids,
exercising, taking showers or baths, or smoking.
Disposable probe covers are provided with your VICKS
ComfortFlex™ Digital Thermometer. Place a cover on the probe tip each time the thermometer is
used to help prevent spread of germs. Additional probe covers can be purchased at most drug stores or pharmacy departments.
PERATING YOUR VICKS
. TURNING THE UNIT ON
urn unit on by pressing the On/Off button
ait for unit to get ready
A beep will sound and the display will show a test
The display will show last measurement for 2 seconds
After about 5 seconds, the display will show it's ready
2. SELECTING A TEMPERATURE LOCATION
• It is suggested to use a probe cover for Oral Use. Discard the probe cover after taking a
• It is important to place the tip of the thermometer well under the tongue to get a good, accurate
reading. (Fig. 5) Place sensor tip in areas marked with “✓”. Keep mouth closed and sit still to help
ensure an accurate measurement.
• When the peak temperature is reached (usually 12 seconds), 2 beep signals will sound and the “°F”
sign will stop flashing. The temperature is now ready to read and will not change when the
thermometer is removed.
• Dispose of used probe cover and wash the thermometer as recommended
Under-the-arm (Axillary) Use
This method is used for babies and young children.
1. Wipe the underarm with a towel.
2. Place the probe tip under the arm so the tip is touching the skin and position your arm next to your body (Fig. 6).
With a young child, it is sometimes helpful to hug the child to keep their arm next to their body. This ensures that
the room air does not affect the reading.
3. When the peak temperature is reached (usually 11 seconds but sometimes longer for this method), 2 beep
signals will sound and the “°F” sign will stop flashing. The temperature is now ready to read and will not change
when the thermometer is removed.
Note: This method produces a temperature 1° lower than a temperature taken orally.
4. Wash the thermometer as recommended.
Commonly used for babies, young children, or when it is difficult to take an oral or underarm temperature.
1. Cover the thermometer’s tip with a probe cover and lubricate with a water-soluble jelly for easier
insertion. Do not use petroleum jelly. Read the label of the lubricant to be sure you are using the
2. Lay the patient on his/her side. If the patient is an infant, the proper position for a baby is to lay on
its stomach with legs hanging down, either across your knees or at the edge of a bed or changing
table. This positions the infant’s rectum for safe and easy insertion of the thermometer.
3. Gently insert the tip of the thermometer NO MORE THAN 1/2 inch into the rectum. If you detect resistance, stop. Hold the thermometer in place
4. When the peak temperature is reached (usually 10 seconds) 2 beep signals will sound and the “
F” sign will stop flashing. The temperature is
now ready to read and will not change when the thermometer is removed.
NOTE: This method produces a temperature 1
higher than a temperature taken orally.
5. Dispose of used probe cover and wash the thermometer as recommended.
3. READING THE MEASUREMENT
ComfortFlex™ Digital Thermometer comes with the patented “Fever InSight” feature offers a color indicator with the temperature readout
to better understand the temperature measurement.
• For readings between 97.0-98.9°F, the LCD will display green as the backlight color indicating the measurement is within an acceptable range.
• For readings between 99.0-100.9°F, the LCD will display yellow as the backlight color indicating a slight elevation in temperature measurement.
• For readings 101.0°F and above, the LCD will display red as the backlight color indicating possible fever.
The Fever InSight feature continues for about 7 seconds.
4. TURNING THE UNIT OFF
Turn the thermometer off by pressing the On/Off button. If you forget to turn it off, the thermometer will automatically turn off after approximately 3.5
Clean the thermometer by washing with soap and warm water or rubbing alcohol (70% isopropyl alcohol).
Wipe dry with soft cloth.
DO NOT BOIL OR CLEAN IN DISHWASHER. This will cause the thermometer to no longer function and will void the warranty.
Do not wash the unit with any thinner or chemical solvent.
Battery Life: more than 200 hours of continuous operation. (approx. 2 years if used 10 minutes per day, every day).
Accuracy in waterbath: +/-0.2°F between 96.0-107.0°F at room temperature of 71°F.
Temperature Range: 89.6-109.2°F. If less than 89.6°F an "Lo" is displayed. If more than 109.2°F and "Hi" is displayed.
Beeper: Unit will beep for approximately 8 seconds when peak temperature is reached.
Fever alert: A series of 5 short beeps indicate temperatures +101.0°F.
Error messages: The display will read "Err" when a malfunction occurs and the unit will power off after 1 minute.
CHANGING THE BATTERIES
ComfortFlex™ Digital Thermometer features a long life, mercury free battery. When the “
” appears and flashes in the center top of the
display, the battery is exhausted and needs replacing.
1. Using a coin, unlock the battery cover and carefully remove the battery with a non-metallic instrument.
2. Replace the battery with a 1.55V, L41 alkaline or CR1225 silver oxide type or equivalent. Insert the new battery with the positive (+) side facing the
3. Carefully replace the battery cover and, using a coin, tighten the cover.
4. Properly discard the old battery. Keep out of reach of young children, elderly and pets.
Digital Thermometer is durable and manufactured for a lifetime of normal, household use. Following directions carefully will
ensure years of dependable operation. If for any reason (other than misuse or normal battery replacement) you are dissatisfied with your VICKS
Digital Thermometer, we will repair or replace it, at our option, free during your lifetime.
If the thermometer does not function properly, first check the battery. Replace if necessary. If repair is necessary call our Consumer Relations Department
at 1-800-477-0457 or write to Kaz, Inc., Consumer Relations Department, 250 Turnpike Rd., Southborough, MA 01772, explaining just how the
thermometer is improperly working. Our consumer service representative will provide further instruction on how to correct the trouble yourself or will ask
you to return the thermometer for repair or replacement.
kManufacturing Quality Healthcare Products for Over 75 Years
KAZ, Incorporated • Hudson, NY 12534
Distributed by Kaz, Inc. under license from The Procter & Gamble Company.
Vicks is a registered trademark of The Procter & Gamble Company.
©2006 KAZ, Incorporated
Made and printed in China
(on back side)
Large Display with
Fever InSight backlight
Fig. 1 Fig. 2
IMPORTANT: Before first use,
remove label from the display.
Fig. 3 Fig. 4